To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: M3 DS problems (Summary)
From: MBell@mail.utexas.edu (Michael Bell)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 15:58:25 -0600

Regarding the dim split image in my M3 rangefinder, I received many
replies.  Some people said that the mirror in the rangefinder would need
resilvering and this would cost from $100 to over $200.  Others have said
that sometimes the whole rangefinder needs to be replaced which would
probably cost over $400.  Hopefully all I will need is the resilvering.

Judging by the number of recommendations, Don Goldberg would appear to be a
deity of Leica repairmen.

My Summicron is a Dual Range model and worth a little more than a standard
version, so I was told wrong that it was very valuable.  It's a very fine
lens none the less.

As for the makeup of the list, there are many of us that are
non-collectors, non-professionals.  We just tend to keep quiet.  We are all
very thankful to the pros on the list that give of such useful information.
There is a small handful of us in our early 30s and at least one person
under 30.  One other person mentioned that he was also using a camera older
than he was.  I would assume that many of the collectors have cameras older
than they are.

Thanks much to the many people that offered help!

Michael Bell
MBell@mail.utexas.edu

Replied: 11 Jan 96 17:03