To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: ques. about buying a used M6
From: gang@mtdcr.mt.att.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 96 23:59:43 EST

>        2. Since I want to "use" the camera rather than just "collect" it,
>should I go for what I sometimes see listed as a "user".  Or is "user"
>usually a euphemism for  "broken down piece of junk" ?  Or, should I spend
>the extra money for one of the much more common grades of  "exec" or
>"exec+" ?

Since M6s are relatively new compared to other Ms, I would expect most of
them in exec or better condition unless the camera is very heavily used by
a pro, in which case, I would be reluctant to buy. Every camera has a finite
life span in terms of how many rolls it can burn. You are better off buying
from a casual user who takes 20 rolls of film a year than from a pro who takes
20 rolls a day.

>       4.  I see a wide range of prices (e.g. $900 to $2,100) for M6's that
>are all listed / graded as "exec".  Is this because of cosmetic flaws or
>does term "exec" have widely different interpretations among dealers?

Yes. For some dealers, if a camera takes pictures, it is at least exec-.

>        5.  Do you believe the jump in price for a f2.8 over a f3.5, or an
>f2 over an f2.8 is worth it.  That is, have you found the faster lenses to
>be more useful and so justified in price?  Should I try for the fastest
>lens I can afford ( like with computers where you should always try to buy
>the biggest hard drive or most RAM you can afford)?

It depends on your application. I find an extra stop or two always welcome
when shooting indoor, and in some case, even f1.4 seems too slow although I
wouldn't use the computer analogy knowing that tomorrow's 10G drive will
cost as little as today's 1G unit.

g.huang
gang@mtdcr.att.com