To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: infinity lock
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 10:30:09 +0100

Some of you may remember my question about the little lever on the 35mm M
lenses. While I was trying to find a used one to buy I now found out the
answer: Some 35mm Summicrons WITHOUT the lever really exist. The one that I
saw has about the same appearance as my 1981 50mm Summicron (which also
doesn't have the lever, unfortunately). Therefore I suppose it has been
produced around 1980.

Another question that arose while I searched the stores was the following:
Why do so many older Leica M lenses have infinity lock? The only reason that
I can think of is to prevent you from accidently changing your focussing
from infinity to whatever. But this never happened to me with my Leica (or
with any other camera). Is there another reason? And whatever reason they
might have had - why do the new lenses don't have the infinity lock anymore??

Bye, Edi.