To: "Anand R. Mehta" <amehta@mcs.net>
Subject: Re: Leica Projectors
From: James J Dempsey <jjd@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:04:39 -0500
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

> Does anyone on this
> list have a strong preference pro/anti Leica for projectors?  If so,
> should I consider the P150, or the higher-end models?

When I was looking for a projector around 1983/84 I was surprised to
find how expensive and how cheaply constructed the Kodak projectors of
the day were.  I really liked the bell & howell "slide cube" concept,
but everyone I talked to said that they were mechanically unreliable.

I ended up buying a Leica Pradolux 300 II -- a kodak carousel compatible
projector that leica was selling at the time.  It was a discontinued
model (because the Pradolux 300 II AV had come out) and I barely paid
more than a Kodak would have cost.

The results were amazing -- even my wife who is less discriminating in
these matters remarked how much better the slides looked than on a
Kodak projector.  I'm suspect that the Leitz lens was the reason.

The 300 series used a mechanism that (I believe) was made by Singer --
the sewing machine company.  I have recently seen the same mechanism
for sale (sans Leitz lens) for around $499!

I use the 300 with a Kodak stack loader and Kodak's metal slide clips
for storing slides.  A box the size of an 80-slide carosel can store
about 640 slides.  The clips are very expensive these days, but I
found someone selling a bunch of used ones cheap.

I highly recommend the projector, and although the 300 has been
discontinued for some time, you might be able to find used ones
available for reasonable prices.

                       --Jim Dempsey--
                         jjd@bbn.com
              http://frontdoor.bbn.com/users/jjd