To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Prices in the UK
From: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov (C.M. Fortunko)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 08:44:12 -0700

>To: Tony Gamble <100113.1524@compuserve.com>
>From: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov (C.M. Fortunko)
>Subject: Re: Prices in the UK
>
>Tony,
>
>I am totally confused. You report that very few Leicas and other high-end
cameras are sold in the UK. How can this be?

>If the British do not buy Leicas, then what accounts for a number of rather
good books on these cameras that come from the UK? For example, Jonathan
Eastland's books on the Leica and Darkroom techniques are very good. Brian
Bower's books are also OK, at least for the collectors. Focal was a UK-based
publisher also and so is Hove. Who is creating this market? Is it all for
export?

>There are also a number of UK-based photo magazines that have many ads for
Leicas and other high-end cameras. Are you suggesting that the British
prefer to read about taking pictures to actually taking pictures. I somehow
do not believe that this is the case.

Pax et Lux,

Chris Fortunko, Boulder, CO
home phone: (303)-494-7246