To: Kalessin@eworld.com
Subject: Re: Leica M4P ANNIVERSARY
From: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov (C.M. Fortunko)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:45:00 -0700
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Godfrey,

I am curious. How do you compare the Mini-zoom or Nikon 35Ti with a similar
Leica focal length? My wife has the Mini-zoom and likes it, but , in my
opinion, the photos simply do not have the same quality. I can easily tell
the difference.

I do not find the weight of my M-5 a problem, most of the time. Best of all,
the camera is so rare that it is relatively save to carry in countries with
a lot of street crime, like Prague in the Czech Republic. A piece of black
tape can be used to cover the 5-letter word and the camera then looks like a
product of the East German or Soviet camera industry.

What troubles me most are the prices of M-5. If no one uses them, why are
the prices so high?

>A large, heavy camera does make holding things steady at low slow shutter
>speeds easier. I liked the M5 too, uncle let me borrow it a couple of times
>and it handled very nicely.
>
>I find, though, that I just hate carting all the bulk around most of the
>time. Even the relatively compact M4-P gets wearysome now and again when I'm
>tramping around a race track all day. That's why I have the Leica Minizoom
>and a Nikon 35Ti for when just don't want to heft stuff around.
>
>I won't surrender a superior lens but I'll give up a little control when my
>shoulder is sore after a long day... ;)
>
>Godfrey

Pax et Lux,

Chris Fortunko, Boulder, CO