To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: R7, R6 mirror shock info
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 02:38:10 +0000

I've read here that the R7 has improved mirror damping and gets sharper
hand held shots at low shutter speeds than the R5. What I'd like to know
is; how low are we talking about here- can I use this camera hand held
at 1/30th or 1/60th with a 50mm lens and make a sharp 12 x 18" print?
And- how does the R6 compare in this respect?

I am considering getting a used R6 at some point, as well as a used R7;
these will replace my RE and R5. The extended low-light meter
sensitivity of the R6 is a factor as low-light photography seems to be
my thing nowadays. Mirror-lock is the other thing, and an all-manual
camera has a certain perverse attraction for me as I grew up with manual
exposure anyway. So, can anyone comment on the mirror shock of the R6,
or any other aspect thereof?

Any R6 or R7 opinions/experiences/recommendations welcomed.

joe b.

Replies: Reply from pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro) (Re: R7, R6 mirror shock info)