To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica...of the cheap plastic variety...
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 16:11:55 +0000
Cc: Jack Hamilton <Jack.Hamilton@internetmci.com>

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.960229210402.3850B-100000@wheeler>, Ed Hackett
<edh@maxey.dri.edu> writes
>If anybody is interested, I'd be glad to give a review of the Mini II.
>If you're thinking of getting a camera in that class, it's certainly
>worth checking out.

I have various grown-up Leica stuff but no plastic pocket incarnation at
all. I do feel the need for a real point-and-shoot sometimes. I had a
Yashica T4 for a day once, a couple of years ago; when it arrived I
discovered, to my amazement (and intense annoyance), that there was a
delay of something like half a second while the damm thing moved the
lens into position, even when I'd prefocused. I sent it off to be sold
again the next day. As far as I'm concerned a camera that won't take the
picture *when* I want it to is no better than a camera that takes the
picture pointing in the wrong direction! That was my last point & shoot.

If you could review the Mini II I would be interested. The lack of lens
cover is a minus point, but if the timing is good and the pictures are
sharp then I could live with it by keeping it in a soft case. The only
bad thing I heard about this camera was one model that was tested had
inaccurate exposure for slide film. I would be particularly interested
in your experience with this aspect, and the lens quality of course,
especially for big prints.

BTW, owning other Leica stuff is simply a matter of determination, not
money, as many would have you believe. Just don't let stuff like
automobiles, holidays and houses distract you and you'll get there. Well
it worked for me...

joe b.