To: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Subject: Re: M6 Suggestion Box...
From: Robert Silvers <rsilvers@media.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 22:13:21 -0500
Cc: Leica Newsgroup <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

Charles E. Dunlap wrote:

> Let's see:
>
> The new camera should:
>
> 1) cost 50% less
>
> 2) have an adjustable diopter (or some accomodation) for eyeglass wearers
>
> 3) have TTL flash
>
> 4) get rid of that flapping back panel (perhaps with easier film loading)
>
> 5) keep the lens and overall quality
>
> 6) increase the maximum shutter speed to 1/2000
>
> 7) increase the flash sync speed (perhaps double it to 1/100?)
>
> 8) add a self timer
>
> 9) incorporate aperture priority autoexposure
>
> This camera is called a Contax G1.
>
> Yes, the focus on the G1 is entirely different than the M series
> rangefinders', the camera makes a bit more noise, it cannot take a photo
> without a battery, the viewfinder is smaller (although useable by the
> myopic w/o glasses), and the range of options and sense of tradition are
> not as great, but I think we should consider that Leica might be losing
> ground to the newcomer (and some more seasoned photographers) and should
> consider a competitive offering. Rather than an evolution in the M6 perhaps
> Leica needs a revolutionary new camera to offer alongside the M6. No? Food
> for thought.
>
> -Charlie
>
> P.S. Please don't hate me!

The G1 also does not have the same level of quality. Nice, but the the same level.
It is an Acura, not a Bentley. It is a typical camera with a slick Ti shell. It would
be nice to have a cheaper new rangefinder that took the same lenses. It would make a
good second body for people that had an M6 or first body for everyone else. Of course
the lenses are still very expensive. Perhaps Contax should come out with a G2 that fixes
the G1 problems of more noise than Leica and poor manual focus. Or Konica could give
the Hexar good manual focus. Or Canon/Nikon could come out with a new rangefinder system
for people that either do not want to pay for tradition and/or want more features.

--

617/253-6515   http://grim.media.mit.edu