To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Leica Newsgroup)
Subject: Re: M6 Suggestion Box...
From: doctorc8@stout.entertain.com (Henry Chu)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 22:56:14 -0700

>Let's see:
>
>The new camera should:
>
>1) cost 50% less
>
>2) have an adjustable diopter (or some accomodation) for eyeglass wearers
>
>3) have TTL flash
>
>4) get rid of that flapping back panel (perhaps with easier film loading)
>
>5) keep the lens and overall quality
>
>6) increase the maximum shutter speed to 1/2000
>
>7) increase the flash sync speed (perhaps double it to 1/100?)
>
>8) add a self timer
>
>9) incorporate aperture priority autoexposure
>

>This camera is called a Contax G1.
>
>Yes, the focus on the G1 is entirely different than the M series
>rangefinders', the camera makes a bit more noise, it cannot take a photo
>without a battery, the viewfinder is smaller (although useable by the
>myopic w/o glasses), and the range of options and sense of tradition are
>not as great, but I think we should consider that Leica might be losing
>ground to the newcomer (and some more seasoned photographers) and should
>consider a competitive offering. Rather than an evolution in the M6 perhaps
>Leica needs a revolutionary new camera to offer alongside the M6. No? Food
>for thought.
>
>-Charlie
>
>P.S. Please don't hate me!

Charlie,

The G 1 is a nice little package and the viewfinder is more convenient for
us left-eyed, bespectacled users.  However, the autofocus is rediculously
slow.  Furthermore the batteries cost a small fortune.  I find that my
Leica is faster to use than any of the point n shoots, no matter how
elegant.

Henry

P.S. What do you do at UCSC.  I'm an alum--'71.