To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Lenses for IIIc - recommendations?
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:27:29 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Marc James Small wrote:

> This is an incredibly foolish question to ask me.
>
> Buy the Russian Jupiters -- 5.6/20 Russar MR-2, 6/28 Orion-15, 2.8/35
> Jupiter-12, 2/50 Jupiter-8, 1.5/50 Jupiter-3, 2/85 Jupiter-9, and 4/135
> Jupiter-11 -- for Zeiss quality at disturbingly low prices.
>
> Great stuff!
>
> Marc
> msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

	I can second Marc's recommendation on the Jupiter-8, 9, 11, and
12:  he sent me these last year in Contax bayonet mount along with a Kiev
body.  The lenses are decently constructed although they are not built to
the exceptional standards of Leica lenses.  However, you can buy them new
rather than 40 years old;  the optical quality of the lenses is very very
good;  and they are considerably cheaper than comparable Leitz
screw-mount lenses.  In other words, they are great user optics.

Gary Toop
gtoop@uoguelph.ca