To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M4-P shutter problem / advice needed
From: Jorg Nolte <jon@trc.rwcp.or.jp>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 11:38:32 +0900

I only once had a problem with the M6 shutter,
but that was clearly my fault. I loaded the film inaccurately in dim light,
with the result that the film was crunched a bit *and* touched
the shutter curtains.
I noticed the problem after the first shot,
when the shutter didn't close completely.

You couldn't cock nor release the shutter and I was shocked for a moment.
Then I carefully moved the shutter curtains with my hands in place and
everything was ok again.
After that event caused by my stupidity I *never* had *any* problems again.
I used the camera in the hot, *very* humid japanese summer
as well as in the coldness of Hokkaido's winter and it worked perfectly.
(Only the 3V Lithium batterie gave up at -10C or so, but it was already
rather old)
I also like to mention, that the M6 I bought "new",
was already 10 years or so in an ordinary department store (it wasn't a place
where people typically would buy leicas, so it is still marked Leitz Wetzlar,
instead of Leica Camera GMBH, Solms) and has obviously not
been used all the time. Nevertheless it works fine.

As somebody already mentioned, mechanical cameras need to be used
rather *often*. Nearly every lubricant will become more gluish with time
and will act as a glue instead of a lubricant at last. This process
is strongly accelerated, when a shuttter is not used at all for long periods.
I don't think, that the Leica's lubrication is bad.
In fact its works well in the cold (which is always a problem,
since the oil becomes harder) as well as in warm climates.
And it lasts rather long, when the camera is regularly used.
This can only be a compromise.
Ideally, in winter you'd need a rather thin fluid, which still *is* fluid
even at strong minus temperatures.
In summer you'd need something more thick and gluish to prevent
the lubricant to dry out completely. And, last but not least
in very humid areas you need something which does not suck
water and is resistant against *mold*.
As far as I remember Leica even offered special treatment for equipment
used in tropical areas most of the time to prevent mold and other
damage caused by humidity.

I general its is a good idea, to give the camera a
professional cleaning and checkup every 5-10years.
Just think its like a machanical watch, they also need some regular attention.
  Joerg