To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M4-P shutter problem / advice needed
From: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov (Chris Fortunko)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 09:55:16 -0700

Guys,

I just spoke with John Van Stelten here in Colorado. John repairs Leica
cameras and optics. John is of the opinion that the M6 is every bit as good
as the M4 and M3. John should know.

Keep in mind that you are dealing with the technology of the 50's. I have
not had problems with my camera yet. However, it does feel differently from
other cameras like it. This may be inherent to the fact that these things
are put together by craftsmen and not machines. Also, keep in mind that you
are really dealing with a fine instrument, which depends on mechanical
precision to work right. The modern approach is to use electronics for many
functions that Leica still does with springs, mechanical dampers, etc.

Another thing is that there are fewer people now who know how to work with
things mechanical. Most of the action is in digital electronics.

>In response, I have a similar story:
> A few years ago I bought a new M6, assuming that it would have the same
>quality as the M4 and M3 bodies I had used with few problems. I had
>problems with the frame counter first. It stopped working, so I sent it
>back to Leica under warranty. It came back, but then the meter didn't work
>all the time, and not ever below 1/30. I sent it back again, and said this
>was unacceptable to me, and I wanted another body. I got a new new M6, and
>felt my problems were over, until the shutter stopped working. At all
>speeds below sync, the shutter would open and stay open. So there you go,
>this was two bodies, both new, and both with a lot of problems. I was so
>disappointed, I sent it back to the dealer and asked them to sell it on
>consignment. (for a $500 loss)
>
>I switched to Canon F-1 mechanical, which always works. I recently bought a
>Leica R4s used, and that has been fine.
>
>Bob

Pax et Lux,

Chris Fortunko, Boulder, CO