To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Best Lens for Visoflex III
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 08:50:43 -0500

Thanks everyone for your input on the best lens to use with a Viso III.

Yesterday I visited my dealer, who happened to have a 65 Elmar, 90 Summicron
and 135 Tele-Elmar ( the latter two both old style with removable heads), so
I was able to compare all 3 possabilities.

I bought the 135.  I figured that this gave me a focal length that I don't
yet have for my M, and unlike the 65, I can use it normally on my M6 as well
as with the Viso.  Also, according to some of my books, this lens has been
claimed by Leica as one of the best they over made -- for whatever that's worth.

I have to admit to a wonderfully nostalgic feeling using an M + Viso.  Back
in the 60's I was one of the early adopters of reflex cameras, first a
Pentax Spotmatic and then, when I could afford it, a Nikon F system.  At the
time the Visoflex seemed like an akward cludge.  Now, I get a real kick
using it.  Very retro.

So, off to take pictures with it this weekend.  Here in Ontario we're still
locked in the tail end of winter, with spring still a few weeks away, but
who know, I'll head into the country early on Saturday and see what I can see.

Cheers,

Michael