To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: 135mm Tele-Elmar f4.0
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 08:46:15 -0500

Last week, on a whim, I bought a Visoflex III for my M6.  Needing a lens to
use with it, I did some research and shopping and ended up with a used
Tele-Elmar 135mm f4.0 in Ex condition -- the older model with the removable
head that fits the Viso.

Anyhow, though using the Viso is fun (more on that later), this note is to
comment on the Tele-Elmar.  WOW!  This lens is nothing short of fantastic.
I've now shot a couple of rolls, studied the Provia 100 slides under an 8X
loup and printed several 11 X 14 Cibachromes.  The image quality is truely
"Leica" and the resolution, even wide open is superb.

According to various books, this lens is, according to Leica, an APO in all
but name.  Interestingly, the lens design hasn't changed in almost 30 years
-- only the cosmetics have been upgraded.

I havn't had a 135 in my Leica M set because back in the late 60's when I
used Leicas to make a living I found this focal length to the the least
useful.  For some reason, I now find that I don't perceive the same
limitations.  I bought the Tele-Elmar to use on the Viso, but it's now going
to form a permanent part of my travel kit for rangefinder use.

As for the Visoflex III -- I've enjoyed it, but in reality it's of limited
usefulness.  For anyone who hasn't used one, here's the proceedure with an M6.

1:      Open lens to maximum aperture, focus and frame.
2:      Flip up mirror, lightly depress shutter, shift eye to viewfinder
window and meter the scene,         (guessing at the area being metered
because there are no framelines) then closing lens to
        shooting aperture.
3:      Reopen mirror, open lens to maximum, reframe shot.
4:      Close lens to shooting aperture.  Shoot.
5:      Reopen aperture, prepare for next shot.

I use my Nikon F4 system in fully manual mode for nature and landscape work,
on a tripod 90% of the time, so I'm used to a contemplative approach -- but
the above is quite tedious -- but nevertheless fun.  I'm going to hang onto
the Viso, but I don't think I'll use it much.

Michael

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: 135mm Tele-Elmar f4.0)
Reply from Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org> (Re: 135mm f/4.0 Tele-Elmar-M)