To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 90mm f/2.5 COLORPLAN-P2 CF
From: photog3@ix.netcom.com (Mel Weinstein )
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 08:27:06 -0800

You wrote:

>I just acquired one of these to upgrade my P150.  Most interesting:
it is
>an all-metal lens made in Portugal replacing the original all-plastic
>made-in-Germany Hektor.  The optical quality IS somewhat better than
that of
>the Hektor and the field illumination appears to be corner-to-corner,
>resolving the primary complaint I've had with the original lens.  The
only
>drawback is that it is quite a bit heavier than the Hektor, and the
focusing
>is thus a bit slower.
>
>The price was reasonable, $150 US, and delivery time was -- are you
ready
>for this?  THREE DAYS.  I still have back-orders from Leica (the
camera
>adaptor and two eyepieces for my APO-Televid spotting scope) which are
now
>more than a year old.  There's also a non-CF version available for the
same
>price.
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!
>
>Last month Leica sent me a 90mm.2.5 CF lens for my P150 and I agree it
is better than the Hektor lens. With the Hector, I couldn't get half of
my slide in focus due to the curve in the slide for the heat lamp.
With this lens I can now get about 3/4 of the slide is focus which is a
big improvement, however when I shoot a photograph at f16 with a 24mm
lens, and the depth of field should be to China, I don't think it is
too much to ask for the entire slide to be in focus.  I gave up talking
to Leica about this since they think I am asking too much of a
projector that cost only $239. If it is being to demanding to expect a
slide shot with a $2000 lens to be 100% in focus when projected by a
slide projector made by the same manufacturer with the upgrades lens,
then something is truly wrong.

Mel Weinstein