To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 135mm f/4.0 Tele-Elmar-M
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:04:26 -0500

R8?  What's an R8? Let us in on what you may know, including release date.

We're in complete agreement that lenses are what the game is all about, and
at that game Leica is tops.  But, whether I look at the R6.2 or the R7, I
always am dissatisfied.  I'm not sure what it is exactly, but "feel" is the
best summary, not features.  My Nikon F4 has "feel", the M6 does in spades,
but the Rs just don't.

Among other cameras that "feel" right to me are the Contax RTS bodies and
Rollie 6000 series.

If I had to I could elaborate, but since it's a personal thing I'll just
describe it here as an "all of a piece"  rightness, a certain gestalt.
Sorry to be so vague.

By the way, for me the EOS cameras don't appeal because I prefer "analogue"
cameras.  I hate LCDs and multifunction thingees.  I know some people can do
it, but I need to get to know a camera so well that with my eyes closed, or
in total darkness I can set every control intuatively just by feel.  "Modes"
on cameras with multifunction dials where you have to check to see what mode
you're in, leave me frustrated.

I'm not a luddite because I make my living in a high tech industry (telecom
and computers), but when it comes to phtography I guess I'm a purist and a
throwback.  On the other hand, I'm really eager to see what the Nikon F5
will be like.  Hopefully no LCDs.

Michael

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: 135mm f/4.0 Tele-Elmar-M)