To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 135mm f/4.0 Tele-Elmar-M
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 08:53:54 -0800

Michael,

That's exactly what I liked about the R7. It was an analogue camera with
just enough automation exposure-wise. But I used R4 cameras since '81,
so I suppose the R7 just felt much better in comparison. I really like
the feel of my EOS1n, but it sure was a major change to get it.
All the other EOS cameras fell like toys in comparison. Anything like
this is going to be a personal choice. So viva la difference! <g>

As for the R8, all I've heard is that it's in development, and it might
be introduced at either of the next two Photokinas. It's going to have a
built-in motor drive (boo!) and auto rewind. It might have 1/250 flash
sync (or 1/300 with that new copal shutter) and it won't be autofocus.
Too bad. That's the major problem for me. (Besides rising prices.)

Contax's solution with their new AX camera is to move the mirror box,
film plane and some other parts back and forth to focus. It's very
quick, very accurate, and you only need to manually focus some long
lenses when you want to get very close. And the camera tells you where
to set the lens (in the viewfinder no less). Leica ought to license this
technology.

--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR