To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: International customs
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 13:48:23 -0500
Cc: thodge@wilbur.reid.org

Tom makes some good points.  Canada is not the only country to have an
absolutely unreasonable approach to customs and visitors, nor is it the
worst, but, thankfully, most other countries are much better.

I buy and sell world-wide.  When I buy, I pay whatever customs there are at
this end -- which is none on used stuff.  When I send it out, it's the
purchaser's worry to pay the customs at his end.

I went to Toronto last fall, by the way, with a load of cameras and hadn't
the slightest problem at customs either US or Canadian.  But I was geared
for the worst.  Plus I bought a bunch of stuff at a show in Toronto:  the
customs agent just waved me through when I showed it to him.  Which meant I
had an extra two-hour wait at the bloody airport, as I'd been prepared for a
struggle.  I understand Tom's experience is far more common than is mine,
and that US customs is generally much, much worse than is Canadian.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!