To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: International customs
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 19:22:35 -0500
Cc: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>

For once, I disagree totally, completely, and vehemently with Mr Hodge.  The
practice of using "xxx" for the last three of a serial number is horrid and
not to be encouraged.  It does nothing save to broadcast that you are in
possession of items you believe to be stolen.  If you KNOW you own it, give
out the number:  do you believe most thieves CARE about the s/n of the stuff
they steal?

The deletion of the last three numbers is a bane to historical researchers
and requires a SECOND request for information when some moron sends me such
when I ask him for the entire number.  "ENTIRE" means entire.  I will not
buy a lens if the vendor hasn't the confidence in his right of ownership to
admit its entire number to me.

Otherwise, I agree 90% of the time with about three-quarters of what Mr
Hodge says -- he's one bright guy!

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!