To: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Leica serial numbers
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 19:32:58 -0500 (EST)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Marc James,

Interesting twist you bring up I hadn't thought of.  Then again, my idea
isn't to prevent any legitimate person from knowing the full, serial
history of the lens.  On the contrary.

I heard first hand of an incident involving a repair center wherein a
claim was made on a lens with a certain serial number being stolen and
belonging to another party.  I believe the lens WAS passed along thru a
few hands and that was damned unfortunate.

However, someone having an entire lens serial number can make for some
fraudulent claims of past ownership and that would be extremely difficult
to refute.  I guess I should have added that when buying ANY Leica stuff,
know who you're buying it from and get some sort of "hold harmless"
statement from him or her.  When selling, make sure you aren't passing
along any stuff that might accidentally be "hot".  It could be in your
hands from a camera show or something for many, MANY years and still be on
"the list"  I'm still looking for a Canon Ae-1, a 50mm f/1.4 and a 100mm
f/2.8 taken from me many years ago.

My apologies to Marc James Small and all of the legitimate used camera
dealers anywhere.  I accidentally excluded "their types" from the
dissertation as I made it pretty clear we need to shield ourselves from
people exactly THE OPPOSITE from them.

> For once, I disagree totally, completely, and vehemently with Mr Hodge.  The
> practice of using "xxx" for the last three of a serial number is horrid and
> not to be encouraged.  It does nothing save to broadcast that you are in
> possession of items you believe to be stolen.  If you KNOW you own it, give
> out the number:  do you believe most thieves CARE about the s/n of the stuff
> they steal?

No but if they have a serial number it is possible to jerk YOU around!
Like someone having your social security number.

> The deletion of the last three numbers is a bane to historical researchers
> and requires a SECOND request for information when some moron sends me such
> when I ask him for the entire number.  "ENTIRE" means entire.  I will not
> buy a lens if the vendor hasn't the confidence in his right of ownership to
> admit its entire number to me.
>
> Otherwise, I agree 90% of the time with about three-quarters of what Mr
> Hodge says -- he's one bright guy!

Thanks, but I can't take much credit.  It's the people I communicate
with.....such as the Leica users group!  Thanks for keeping me on the
straight and narrow!

Tom Hodge