To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Russian Leica M
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:37:59 -0500
Cc: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>

At 08:32 PM 3/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Do you have any idea of how the Russian 20mm M lenses compare in
>sharpness and flare with the Canon 19mm/f3.5 lens? How about compared to
>the three Leica 21mm lenses?

Well, for starters, the Russian 5.6/20 Russar MR-2 is NOT an M lens:  its in
Leica thread-mount.  Second, I've shot widely with mine (both on TM bodies
and, with a Leica adaptor, on my M6), and have had no pronounced problem
with flare.  Third, I have never shot with the Canon lens, but would suspect
this is a somewhat sharper lens:  it is, after all, a Topogon derivative.
Fourth, it is decidedly NOT a Leitz/Leica lens, and I would opt for any
Leica lens over either the Canon or the Russar, but, for many of us, money
is a factor.  If only I could find a $400 2.8/21 Elmarit-M ...

Best,

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!