To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R6 and R7
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:38:18 -0500

Actually, it was Eric Welch who pointed out to me that Leica had recently
hired away from Zeiss their new director of advanced optical design;  I then
reviewed the remarks he made to the LHSA annual meeting last year, where he
claimed credit for changing Leica's design practices to comply with Zeiss's
by using MTF data as the determiner of lens quality rather than Leica's
former practice of using "final image quality" as the arbiter.  However,
this has only been in effect for two or three years, and thus only affects
the very newest lenses.

Eric deniees vehemently, pointedly, and repeatedly that Leica used residual
aberrations.  However, the documentation on this is pretty immense, and I
suggest those interested look at the literature, such as Dr Kingslake's
works or those of Rogliatti.  As K D Schaefer, the Chief of Photographic
Lens Design at Leitz, wrote in 1978:  "...the process of criticizing image
quality and balancing residual aberrations even today remains with the lens
designer" in contradistinction to the use of modulation transfer function
analysis.  The point's not worth hammering away at:  if Eric wants to
believe Leitz long used MTF criteria to design their lenses, so be it.  The
folks at Wetzlar and, later, at Solms were unaware of this, but Eric might
be right.

The phrase "Leica glow" originated, I believe, in a Modern Photography
review from the '50's and was popularized by Leica in their advertising for
some years thereafter.  Gianni Rogliatti drew my attention to this -- and to
the retention of aberrations by Leica, as well as to their use of a "final
image quality" standard -- in private correspondence several years ago;  his
knowledge derived from his frequent visits to Wetzlar and Solms and
discussions with K D Schaefer and others at the plant.

Best wishes,

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!