To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Which lens to buy?
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 17:10:38 -0500

The rigid 50 (older chrome) and the DR are the same optical formula and are
excellent. The DR has an extended focus mount that allows the near focus. I
have one and find it handy.

The collapsible 50 is a different optical formula and is also excellent.
The collapsible has a rather soft coating on teh front and is more prone to
scratching than the others. Be sure to inspect it carefully before buying.
It is also nice in that it is so compact when collapsed.

I also have bothe the tele-elmarit and summicron 90. Both are fine. I use
the tele-elmarit more because is so much lighter and more compact.

Any of the lenses you refer to should be fine performers.

Cheers!

kw

>Hi All,
>
>I am new to the list and to the Leica M-series.
>
>Recently, I picked a M-3 single stroke and a 35mm F2 summicron.
>I am have trouble to decide which lens should buy, they are:
>
>        50mm collapsibe summicron
>        50mm rigid summicron
>        50mm Dual range summicron
>
>and     90mm Elmarit
>        90mm Tele-Elmarit
>        90mm summicron
>
>If any body can tell me their pros, cons ( practical and optical
>performance) and the differences, I would be very appreciated. Thanks in
>advance. I am a user and not a collector.
>
>Regards,
>
>Nelson

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>