To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Henri Cartier Bresson's tools
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:16:24 -0500

At 11:20 AM 01/04/96 -0800, you wrote:

>Cool. Someone mentioned a french line of lenses. Do they mean Angineaux?
>Great lenses! Too bad they dropped 35mm SLR lenses altogether. I was
>just hoping to pick up their 28(35?)-70 2.3 zoom for the EOS. Dang, I
>was too late. Someone said the Tokina of similar stats was essentially
>the same lens. I have my doubts.
>
>--
>Eric Welch
>Grants Pass, OR

Eric,

I have the Tokina 28~75mm f/2.6~2.8 Pro in a Nikon mount and I can recommend
it quite highly.  To read a little bit about my experiences with it have a
look at....

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/photo/travel/moab.html

One of the British magazines rated it among the top 3 medium zooms in a huge
test series that they did last fall.  I'm not a great one for test, but in
real world shooting I find that this lens has some excellent optical
characteristics (resistance to flair is not one of them, unfortunately), and
is mechanically very robust and beautifully built.  The review appeared to
rank it right up there with best of breed, which is the Canon L of the same
length and aperture.  Nikon has nothing in its line to match it.

My Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 and 35mm f.2.0 have now been declaired redundant. <g>

Michael

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: Henri Cartier Bresson's tools)