To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Which M6?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 21:26:46 -0400
Cc: cameras@ix.netcom.com (cameras@ix.netcom.com (Stephen Gandy))

At 05:28 PM 4/9/96 -0700, cameras@ix.netcom.com (Stephen Gandy) wrote:
>Upgrade an M4 to a M6?   Looks like a downgrade to me.

Well, I disagree.  I have owned both (several M4's, several M3's, and my
current M6).  The M6 is the finest of the lot.

One dramatic drawback to the M4 is that so much of it is "adjustable" --
this means that, at any given moment, SOMETHING is almost certainly out of
whack.  I got to be extremely handy with adjusting M4 RF's and the like but
-- with an M6, this sort of tinkering just isn't necessary.

The M6 is the most delightful of all the delightful Leica's I've owned.  It
is a huge improvement over the M4.  The only caveat I would give is to find
a solid early (Wetzlar) model -- these have the cassette locking lugs, where
the later Solms ones do not.  And the Wetzlar ones will probably be the
first ones the collectors glom on, as well.

(No, I don't know exactly WHEN Leica quit fitting the cassette lugs to the
M6 -- there may well be early Solms ones which have these.  Non illuc scio.)

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!