To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 18:00:42 -0400

Canon rangefinder lenses are usable with the same adapters that would be
used for Leica SM lenes. Nikkor THREAD MOUNT lenses, ditto. I have seen
adapters for Contax/Nikon rangefinder lenses for use on Leica Screw mount
bodies, but without rangefinder coupling.

BTW-the Nikor 105 f2.5 in screw mount is REAL NICE!

kw

>Now I'm *really* confused!
>
>I've heard of people using certain Canon and Nikon rangefinder lenses on
>Leica bodies, and so I called a shop here that sells vintage RF and
>collectable gear and which could be expected to know what fits on what.
>I asked if Canon and Nikon rf lenses could be used on an M6 with a
>screw-->M adapter and this person said, no, not at all, totally
>different mounts, only possible sometimes with specially made custom
>adapter and still there's the problem of rf coupling to worry about.
>He then went on to mention the "LeiNik" adaptor as an example of a not-
>very-good kludge and talked about how Leica lenses were superior and I
>should stick to them anyway...
>
>But (and I didn't mention this) the LeiNik is for putting Nikon SLR
>lenses onto Leica M bodies and wasn't what I was asking about; I have an
>old book on theatre & stage photography where the photographer who wrote
>it says he changed from Nikon RF to Leica but kept a couple of the Nikon
>RF lenses to use on his new M bodies. How is that possible if they are
>totally different and incompatible mounts?
>
>So, could someone please clarify this for me? What Nikon/Canon rf lenses
>could I use on an M6, what mount are they, what adapter is required, and
>would the rangefinder couple properly? (Fingers crossed hoping for easy-
>to-understand answer...). I'll understand this or go mad trying.
>--
>joe b.

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>