To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: CLE vs. Leica
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:35:53 -0700

FortunkoC@aol.com wrote:

>I do not own a CLE, but have heard good things about it. It is probably what
>the CL2 should have been! Is it as strongly built as the Leica? I do

You living in a time warp? :-)

The CL2 isn't out yet! Nobody but Leica knows what it's going to be
like.

> good vibes about a Minolta, but may be I am in error. Anyway, if the CLE is
> so good, why are they no longer in production? I have never seen one.

They are not in production because they didn't sell. People just don't
get the rangefinder concept (for another reason). The CLE had some
problems. Like it's not nearly as rugged as the M6. It's built like most
good Japanese cameras, not as good as Leica. You also lose the meter in
manual mode. Advantage of aperture preferred metering. The TTL flash was
supposed to be very good. And the lenses were slow compared to Leica
lenses. Like F/4? Give me a break. Rangefinder's forte is fast lenses.
(Which is why I'll never own a Mamiya 6 or 7.) And the focuing base is
shorter than M camreas, thus fast lenses can't be focused as accurately.

I knew a guy in journalism school (who went to a paper in Tulsa) who
used one and loved it. So with all its problems, there isn't much
competition for that price range and capabilties. At least until the CL2
shows up. The G1 sure didn't give the M6 a run.

--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR