To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: CLE vs. Leica
From: cameras@ix.netcom.com (Stephen Gandy)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:39:30 -0700

You wrote:

>I do not own a CLE, but have heard good things about it. It is
probably what
>the CL2 should have been! Is it as strongly built as the Leica? I do
not have
>good vibes about a Minolta, but may be I am in error. Anyway, if the
CLE is
>so good, why are they no longer in production? I have never seen one.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Chris Fortunko

The CLE was/is a great camera with a superb RF/VF which rivals
the M's.

It died in the marketplace for two reasons:

1) it was too expensive for a Minolta

2) Leica people would generally pass it by because it did
   not have he Leica name on it.  Snobbery does have a force
   in the marketplace.  IF it had the Leica name on it, it
   would probably still be in production.

It's the currently the only way  to get aperture priority automation
with Leica lenses.  It has an accurate electronic shutter and
metering system which..alas..does not work when the batteries
die.   It's only design fault is that the meter does not
function when the camera is switched off AE priority.

For glasses users,  the CLE 28 frameline is usually much easier to see
than the one in the M's.

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk> (Re: CLE vs. Leica)