To: FortunkoC@aol.com, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: CLE vs. Leica
From: Pablo_Mendoza@ROOSEVELT-PROVOST.ucsd.edu
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:56:00 -0700

     I've seen quite a few examples of the CLE.  There are a few problems
     with it that prevented me from purchasing one when I had a choice
     between it and a CL.

     1-Unlike the CL or M cameras, its body is not completely metal in
     construction.  Though there is an aluminum under chasis, the top and
     bottom are high impact polycarbonate.

     2-It is a completely electronic, with no facility for mechanical
     back-up.  So when your battery dies in the middle of the Philippines,
     and jungle completely surrounds you.  You are stuck with a completely
     dead body.

     3-When you want to use the body in manual mode, all indications in the
     viewfinder completely shut-off, ala Minolta XG-1, on which its
     electronics is based.

     Hope this helps.  I think the M6 is a vastly superior long term
     investment than the CLE.  The shutter parts and electronics were
     discontinued last year according to a local repair person.  I don't
     know that for sure though.

     Pablo