To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 23:31:29 -0700

joe b. wrote:

> > If my memory serves me right he talks about using Nikon lenses
> >on his screw-mount Leicas in the appendix to "This is war", and he is very
> >specific about the usage of Nikon and Canon lenses on his M Leicas in

Yes, but back in the 50s when he did his newspaper on the wall test,
which by the way was appropriate for those days, the Japanese lenses
were higher in contrast than Leicas. So his assumption was they were
better. He was probably right, at the time. The problem is, Popular
Photography quotes this incident to this day as proof that the German
optical industry is dead, and Japaneses lengs design reigns supreme.
(Don't tell Apo Macro and Apo Telyt and ASPH owners!) And many people
take it as Gospel.
--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR