To: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Subject: Re: M lens for 645 format
From: tkc@hkstar.com (TK Chan)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 02:05:10 +0800 (HKT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Hi, Tom,

So far as I understand, only those M lenses from 90mm upwards designed for
visoflex use which have detachable lens unit can be adopted for use in the
Mamiya 645. Some people said the Elmar M65mm f/3.5 can also be used but this
lens is very difficult to find now.

The idea is very simple - unscrew the lens unit from its original focusing
tube and attach it to a new focusing tube which is suitably modified to the
correct length and having, of course, a Mamiya mount for attaching it to the
camera body. If you want to use the lens again on the M body, simply re-fit
the lens unit to its original tube again.

Here in Hong Kong, I have it done by my friend who is an expert in
converting these equipment. My Elmar 135 is attached to a Tamron 135mm
focusing tube, converted with a screw mount in front for attaching the lens
unit and a bayonet mount at the rear for fitting to the Mamiya body.

The beautiful thing of it is that I can still use the automatic exposure of
the camera (fitted with an AE finder).  The slight inconvenience is that I
have to stop down to the desired aperture for the exposure measurement.

I spent about HK$6000 for the lens and the conversion tube. I consider it
extremely worthy of the money spent because the original Mamiya A150mm f/2.8
costs up to HK$9000 and the quality - you can imagine which is the winner.

I'll talk to you about the conversion of the 200mm later.

Regards,

TK Chan
tkc@hkstar.com