To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Phillistines who own Leicas
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 06:13:03 -0700 (MST)

>The gentleman with the M2 must invest some time or, kindly, invite us to buy
>his cameras and lenses.

"Must" do the above, Chris? Sorry, but I must disagree. You and some others,
I fear, over sophisticate the use of Leica. Give me a complete photographic
novice, in reasonable physical and mental condition, and within a couple of
hours I can have them *able* to use an M. All they must do at that point is
start taking photographs if latent talent is to be discovered. That, true,
*is* an investment in time, but surely can't be required of the poster.

I was talking to a chap in the business recently. His comment was
interesting. Said that his opinion of pictures turned out by Leica owners,
on balance, were below that of others. There's a lot of folk out here that
talk the talk, but can't or don't walk the walk. BUT, that's their
prerogative. Certainly, ownership of Leica doesn't connote competence, nor
should it. Also, just as certainly, lack of competence doesn't mandate that
the owner sell "us" his cameras and lenses. We have a right to be
philistinic [sic].  Gees, I'm starting to feel a little queasy with feelings
like yours being articulated here.

As far as I'm concerned, Chris, all the seasons here in the lush Sonoran
Desert are great. I don't even mind the heat in the summer. With few
exceptions, no matter where you live, you must go inside to get out of
something. Here, we go inside to escape the heat. Before AC, it must have
been difficult, though. Besides, something is in bloom here all year long.
       --
       Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                 Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum