To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, paul@research.att.com
Subject: Which 35mm lens for M6?
From: Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk (Mark Bishop)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 22:45:49 +0100

paul@research.att.com (Paul Krzyzanowski) wrote:
>The next bit of advice that I'd appreciate concerns lenses: I'd like
>to get a 35mm Summicron lens. There was some discussion a while back
>favoring the old 8 element Summicron. Are there any 35mm lenses that
>I should strongly prefer over others? Are there any to avoid?
>I won't even think about getting the aspheric Summilux, but are other
>35 Summilux lenses worth considering (the price range appears to be
>almost the same as for Summicrons)?

My advice is: go for the 1.4 Summilux Aspheric. OK, I know it's more money. But
the whole point of an M-series Leica is that it's a camera for life. So buy the
best, and enjoy it.

My mk.2 aspheric I would say performs better at f/1.4 than anything I've ever
experienced from Contax, Nikon or Canon and is probably at least the equal of
the Summicron's performance at f/2.8. At middle apertures - say f/5.6-8 - it is
so crisp, contrasty and even in illumination it's untrue.

I've just this morning received back a dozen rolls of Sensia shot around Whitby
on England's North Yorkshire coast, where I went to view the inspiring
photographs of he Victorian Frank Meadow Sutcliffe and to capture the atmosphere
of the fishing port in my own way, and the luminosity and colour clarity of the
results makes me feel that every penny of the price was well spent.

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: Which 35mm lens for M6?)