To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: minimum aperture question
From: Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk (Mark Bishop)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:54:08 +0100

Roger L Beamon <beamon@primenet.com> wrote:
>Are there some sort of design considerations, unknown to me, that dictate
>what the minimum aperture for a given lens shall be? I was shooting with the
>35/2.0 and was desireous of the max. dof. Thought to myself how nice it
>would have been if it had f22 available instead of the min. f16 allowed on
>that lens.

I share your wish for a smaller minimum aperture. My 35mm 1.4 Summilux-M
Aspheric has a minimum aperture of f/16 but I sometimes wish for f/22 or even f/
32 - not just for greater depth of field (though this is true) but also to give
a slow shutter-speed option in certain circumstances, without the need for a
neutral density filter, most of which (in my experience) introduce some colour
shift, however subtle.
I asked my Leica dealer why the lens stops down only to f/16 and was told that a
smaller aperture might entail an unacceptable drop in quality - possibly some
vignetting at the corner of the frame, or a drop in contrast.