To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Only 100,000 exposures???
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 08:57:25 -0400

Well Edi, depending on how you do the math, at 3 — 36 exp rolls a day that's
about 3 years of use.  Nikon claims 250,000 exposures life expectancy for
the F4's shutter, for what that's worth.

I've seen newspaper photographers who can burn through a camera in a few
years, just based on usage — not abuse, but not too many others do.

Michael

At 01:20 PM 13/05/96 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Group!
>
>Last weekend I was in Cologne and discovered a nice camera store called
"Foto Gregor" [located at the "Neumarkt" place in the city's center]. They
have an extra room for Leicas filled with many show-cases full of new and
used Leicas. Mainly collectors will be impressed by their huge collection of
special editions, I think. E.g., they had an M6 with Michael Schumacher's
autograph engraved... [Hey, who buys something like that??]

>But I'm digressing. I took with me the Leica brochures about the R6.2 and
the R7. Although I'm only interested in rangefinder cameras I like the Leica
pamphlets and thought it to be a good reading for the train. To my surprise
I found out that both pamphlets had the following sentence in it:

>        "Leica R cameras are designed for at least 100,000 exposures."
>        [My own translation]
>
>OK, they didn't write that your Leica will take itself apart after you made
exposure number 100,000 but - 100,000 exposures isn't that much for
professional use, or am I wrong? Is this a typo or what? Any hints?