To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Jupiter Lenses
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:10:18 -0400 (EDT)

	I have a feeling that some of you will find the following quite
interesting, since it is possible to purchase new and used Jupiter lenses
in Leica Thread Mount at very reasonable prices and since there was some
discussion of the 20/5.6 Topogon clone (which I do not, alas own) a while
ago.

	The night before last I went over to the house of fellow LUGger
Blair Nonnecke with all of my Russian gear - a Kiev IV (Contax copy)
body, viewfinder, and 4 lenses, the 35/2.8 Biogon clone, the 50/2, 85/2
and 135/4 Sonnar clones - some pictures, and some slides shot with
the Jupiters and with my current series 50 Summicron for comparison.
Blair was curious to see the Russian stuff and the pictures and I was
curious to see his Leica gear and to have the chance to see my slides
projected onto a real screen.

	We both think that the pictures - Ektamax prints from Plus-X and
TMax 100 negs souped in Rodinal 1:50 - show very nice tonality,
perhaps a little less contrasty than one would see with Leitz optics, but
with very nice separation of close values and with, overall, a very
pleasing effect.  They have a very slight softness that does not
impede in any way their resolution or ability to reproduce texture.  A few
colour prints from a Kiev that I owned a few years ago, shot on
Kodakcolor Gold 100 with another 35/2.8 Biogon, had a nice, slightly
warm colour cast and well-separated close values.

	The Ektachrome 64 slides were very interesting.  Although they did
not provide as exact a means of comparison of the Summicron 50 and the 50
Sonnar clone as one could wish for - all shots were on the same roll of film,
which necessitated moving the film from camera to camera and thus a
change in lighting, due changes in cloud cover - they were nevertheless
quite interesting.  The first series of shots of a brick building on the
campus, surrounded by foliage and with a good mixture of light and shade,
suggest that in terms of resolution and contrast, the two lenses, while
of different character, are very comparable from 2.8 down.  The Jupiter,
while producing a slightly softer rendering of some of the brick and
stone textures on the building, does a fine job of reproducing the
contrasts between close values and seems to resolve detail in a very
comparable manner to the Summicron most of the way out to the edges of
the negative, although with a warmer colour cast (which was pleasing in its
own way).  Where the sharpness of the Jupiter did break down, it did so
in a rather soft, pleasing way, and the slightly softer contrast seemed
to, if anything, improve the Jupiter's ability to reproduce the
highlights on some of the foliage.  By f4 or f5.6, whatever advantage the
Summicron might have had in edge to edge sharpness seems to disappear,
although it is of course possible that a higher resolution film would have
exposed some difference.  The Jupiter image did appear noticably less
sharp at f11, but I would attribute that to difficulty of holding the
Kiev steady at 1/50, given the awkwardness of the release.  Over all, the
Jupiter 50/2 seemed to hold up very well against the Summicron when
shooting with light from behind.

	Another short series of 3 shots at f2, f2.8 and f4 shooting up at a
part of the same building revealed more of the Jupiter's limitations, as
flare produced from light from the sky made a much more significant
difference to its ability to reproduce contrast in the brick work than
it did to the Summicron.  However, to be fair to the Jupiter, not only is
it up against one of the best in the business in that respect, but I may
have left the hood on the Summicron while there was not one on the
Jupiter (ooops!) and the coating on the Jupiter has been largely worn
off by repeated cleaning.  One with a better coating, in better condition,
a hood and stopped down to, say f4, would probably fare considerably better.

	The rest of the slides comprised a series of shots of the wall of
a red-brick building facing the sun, taken with the 35/2.8, the 85/2 and
the 135/4.  Each lens held up quite creditably and some aspects of their
performance was very impressive.  The 35 is, not surprisingly, a trifle
soft wide open, although a minor focus problem could have accounted for
some of that, as some of the trees in the foreground seemed to be very
sharp.  The contrast was quite nice by f4 and really good by f8 and the
resolution seemed to be very good by then too.  The lens produces
virtually none of the distortion that often characterizes wide-angle
lenses, doubtless because it is not of a retro-focus design.

	The 85/2 seems to be a very impressive lens, although it is hard
to be sure that I am being fair to it, as the lens seems to focus a little
behind the RF point of focus and I did not correct for this when shooting
the slides last summer.   I suspect that this is not a significant
problem with this lens, because it looks as though the lens can be
adjusted be screwing it apart and adding or subtracting some rings
inside.  Still, in spite of the focus error, the lens resolved quite well
in the centre at f2 and f2.8 and by f4, all but the corners were quite
sharp and the screen on a window set back into the wall (and therefore
perhaps closer to the point of focus) was starting to show noticeable
texture and the contrast was really super across the field, with close
values distinguished very well.  f5.6 and f8 only improved on all of
this.

	If anything, the 135/4 was even more impressive than the 85/2,
although this could be due to the focus error in the 85.  It wasn't bad
at all wide open, very nice at f5.6 and really outstanding by f8, where
it was not only very sharp out to the corners, but also capable of
distinguishing very well between very close values in the brick work.
It should be noted too, that this lens is very small and light.

	Overall, the slides left me very impressed with the Jupiters and
I think that Blair felt the same way.  The colour was nice, the contrast
and separation of close values was great, and the sharpness, especially
of the Sonnar design lenses, was very very good.  The Kiev body certainly
leaves something to be desired when compared to the Leica bodies, but it
is very very sturdy, the rangefinder seems quite accurate and while the
shutter speeds may be slightly off and the shutter is a little clunky
compared to the Leica shutter, so are many other shutters.  All in all, I
would certainly recommend the lenses as a very good, cheap alternative to
Leitz glass or as something to provide a please change of imaging
characteristics to Leitz glass.

I hope all of this has been interesting!
Gary Toop