To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: dating leicas
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 05:06:19 -0700 (MST)

>so, when was my IIIc made? i prefer to take the 46-47 date and assume
>they had some top plates with stepped platforms around. or i may just
>have one of the fabled 'forged' leicas. there was someone in the us
>putting leicas together out of various parts at one time, i am told.
>but why forge a IIIc?

The books take their numbers from Leitz/Leica volunteered information and
tend to corroborate each other. Rogliatti's tables stop about 1992 when
apparently Leica decided to no longer make the info. available.

Yours could well be either an anomaly or a forged product. My guess is
anomaly. If forged, I'd bet that it is recently done. How long have you had
it? When you have some time to kill, you ought to consider having an expert
look at it, just for kicks.
       --
       Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                 Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum