To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 rangefinder problem
From: MBell@mail.utexas.edu (Michael Bell)
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 12:40:44 -0500

Stephen Kobrin <kobrin2@xman.wharton.upenn.edu> wrote:

>The rangefinder on my M3 -- an early DS without the frame selection lever --
>lacks contrast and it is often difficult to "find" the shadow image,
>especially in low light.  The rangefinder rectangle within the viewfinder
>appears "spotted" at times, especially when looking into the light.  The
>appears to be some sort of "crud" on the glass when looking into the small
>rangefinder window from the front.  In all other respects, the camera is in
>great shape.

I am having my M3 DS fixed for this problem right now.  I sent my camera
off to Don Goldberg who was very highly recommended by several folks on
this list.  I asked him about whether the mirror needed resilvering as
several people mentioned that as a possible problem.  Don said that is
usually *not* the problem unless someone tried working on the camera and
screwed it up.  All my camera needed was a thorough cleaning of the
rangefinder.  Apparently this is a relatively common problem for the early
M3s.  He is also doing a cleaning and lubrication of the shutter plane and
the total cost will probably come to around $175.

Here's the info on Don Goldberg:

DAG Camera Repair
2451 Thatcher Lane
McFarland, WI 53558