To: photo-op@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Lighter tripods (and very light tripods)
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 14:06:55 -0400
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

   From: photo-op@ix.netcom.com (Sherril & Bill)
   Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 22:23:10 -0700

   Have you looked at the Benbow tripods.  The #1 is built like a tank and
   not too heavy.  The Trecker is a light weight one that you should be
   able to use with the M6.  And, you can get the Trecker with a real neat
   carring case.

I have a Benbo Trekker, and I have kind of a love-hate relationship
with the tripod.  The Trekker is really light -- that's good.  It's
also really wonderfully flexible -- also good.  Unfortunately, it
cannot be made completely rigid.  That is, if I tighten the main joint
down as much as possible, it's still possible to move the legs about
slightly when they're fully extended.  If I want to hang something
heavy on the tripod (like a backpack full of gear) to damp vibrations
from the wind, the legs sometimes move a little as a result.  It's
frustrating.

The Benbo #1, on the other hand, has an immense main joint that can
easily be tightened down to make the entire structure very rigid.
Unfortunately, it's also heavier.  So there's something of a tradeoff
here.  I do wish I'd gotten a #1 instead of a Trekker.