To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Salgado
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Thu, 23 May 96 17:56 EDT

>At 10:13 AM 5/23/96 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>Apparently Leica showers him with free cameras.
>
>Actually, the guy is very thrifty. He often travels fourth and fifth class
>on trains in third world countries, and while he was working on his book
>"Other Americas" he was able to stretch $20,000 over several years. Now,
>what sacrifices did you make for your Leicas? :-)

I somehow think the photo-ops were better in the lower classes and have
little to do with sacrifice.
        As for the interview on the web: well it was pretty standard stuff,
really with the obligatory mention of the brand of camera he favours. I'm
not surprised Leica toss a few pieces his way.
        I would have been more interested in his views on the current state
of "photojournalism" (a term that suffers from a serious amount of abusive
stretching these days) and the distinctions to be drawn between
photojournalism, press photography, documentary and the encroachment of
P.R. photography masquerading as information.
 (Not to mention how the heck he manages to pull in financing.  ;->  )
'Thoughts, Sebastiao?
Jae