To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica enlarging lenses
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Wed, 15 May 96 11:21 EDT

Greetings group,
        a good friend of mine has offered me a Leica enlarging lens at a
rather attractive price. It is a 90mm F4.5 (I think that's the aperture). I
have never used any Leica enlarging equipment and until recently was
unaware that they made any other focal lengths than the 40mm Focatar. I am
aware of the reputation of the 40mm but I know nothing of the 90mm and I
lack the right mounting plate to give it a whirl on either my D or E
omegas.
Would anyone be able to point me towards an accessible source of info on
Leica enlarging glass or be able to tell me from experience whether this is
a worthwhile investment?
        It is a rather nicely built lens; in typical Leica fashion, it is
all metal and has nicely defined and wonderfully smooth click stops. I am
wondering whether it would cover 6X7 and if it could be better than my much
loved 105mm Rodagon.
        Leica does not currently list a 90mm enlarging lens so I am also
wondering what sort of age it could be.
If anyone on the group could provide any input, it would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Jae