To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Help on Leica #5000
From: adl@sirius.com
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:14:45 -0800

>On 27 May 96 at 16:26, Michael wrote about "Re: Help on Leica #5000":
>
>> Tom, and all those other cynics on this list,
>>         I have a friend who bought it last week.  It is the genuine Leica
>> I, with an Elmar 3.5 lens.  Tom I suggest you "cut the crap" with me and
>> get serious...
>>         Anybody else have anything worth hearing over this I am dieing to
>>hear!
>
>From McKeowns: made between 1926 and 1930, serial numbers
>#1300-60000.
>
>4-digit
>truly mint = $2000
>super clean = $1200
>average  = $600.
>
>5-digit
>truly mint = $1000
>near mint = $650
>average = $200-300
>
>[The Leica I was the first commercially produced Leica model, and the
>first mass produced 35mm camera of high quality. These facts make the
>Leica I a highly sought camera among not only Leica collectors, but
>general camera colletctors also. Black enameled body.
>Non-interchangeable 50mm lenses in collapsible mount with helical
>focus. "Hockey stick" lens lock on the front of the body is the most
>obvious identification feature.]
>
>Never seen Russian forgeries with this kind of serial numbers (only
>Leica III's with 6 or 7 digits I believe, so it sounds real.
>

>Bye,
>
>       _/      _/       _/_/_/_/_/       _/_/_/_/_/
>     _/  _/  _/               _/       _/  _/  _/
>     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
>                     _/_/_/

Leica International Price Guide pretty much confirms the above stated
information.  Leica I (MODEL A) went into  mass production with the 50mm
Elmar around 1926 and was last produced in 1938 at which there were about
56,600 made.  If you had any one of the non-Elmar lenses, or if the body
was in a different finish then the value would be much greater. #5000 isn't
a bad number but nothing really special unless there was a Leica
presentation engraving on it, which it appears does not.

Alvin Dean Lee