To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Tamron Adaptall Lenses
From: jbuf@ix.netcom.com (John Irvin Buford)
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 10:55:42 -0700

You wrote:
. I have long been toying with the
>idea of filling in some "gaps" in my R-series lenses with Tamron
Adaptalls. My part of the country is Leica-challenged, so I don't know
anyone who has done this - or even uses Tamron lenses on any camera.
I am particularly considering the 90/2.5 Macro and the 28-70/3.5 Zoom.
Does anyone have experience with Tamron lenses? I don't expect Leica
quality, obviously, but are they pretty good?  decent?  junk?   Any
help will be greatly appreciated.

>Chuck
>cwarman@sol.wf.net

Chuck;
    I own an 300mm f2.8, 80-200mm f2.8, 24mm f2.5, 17mm f2.8, 28-200mm
f3.8, Tamron lens.  While you do not get Leica quality,  all these lens
are good quality.  The 28-200 leaves a lot to be desired, but it is a
good general purpose lens for taking pictures of the kids in the pool
or the playground.  Every word that I have heard about the 90 f2.5 is
that it is one of the best macro lenses around.  Just remember that
life is a series of tradeoffs, and IMHO when you have the choice
between a Leica lens and a non-Leica lens the Leica lens will perfrom
better, but at what cost.  I own a few different camera systems and I
find that they all perform well (within their own limitations).

    With all that said, the 100mm Leica APo-macro lens is second only
to the 65mm Elmar as the best macro lens ever made.

John N3BVH