To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Adaptall vs Leitz Glass
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 96 20:06 PDT

The thread on Tamron "Adaptall"  lenses prompts me to put my $.02 worth in
and also ask a new question.

I owned a Tamron Adaptall 35mm, which jammed periodically.  The glass was
OK, but nothing to write home about. (Noticably soft until f8 and poor
contrast.)  When I traded it off, I was informed that the mount was broken -
apparently it had been put on the lens once too often (albiet by a previous
owner).  Comments heard here about having a mount for each lens are to be
heeded!

I'd suggest that anyone considering Adaptalls, look carefully for good used
Leitz lenses, which often run about the same $$$ as new Adaptalls.

In fact based on this experience I purchased a used 35~70mm Vario Elmar made
by Minolta in Nippon.  Though not as good as the fixed Leica lenses, it's
awfully good!  Better than any similar zoom I've tried or owned.  (Nice
contrast/colour and VERY sharp - amaziangly enough!)

The Question:

I've been told this is so, because even though the mechanism is made in
Japan, the actual optical elements are either a) made in Germany by Leica,
or b) made in Nippon out of glass blanks sent from Leica's glass works and
to Leica's specs; rather than simply being made by Minolta. Others say this
is hogwash. That it is an all Minolta design/manufacture effort; and that I
am simply being prejudicial against Japanese technology.

Can anyone shed a ray of truth on this?

David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com