To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Howard Chapnick's death
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 10:44:17 -0500

To All:

Yesterday morning (Memorial Day) I received word that Howard Chapnick
died at home of a heart attack. As noted here and in other places on the
WEB, his death is photography's loss.

Since Eric had some of the facts wrong, and since my lifelong
involvement with Howard and with Black Star was an important one that I
treasure, I believe it necessary to make a few comments.

Black Star was the world's first picture agency. Formed in Germany in
the 1920s, it both grew with and was responsible for some of the growth
of photography and magazine photojournalism. Black Star was the major
force in Europe during the formative years of what we now view as the
birth of contemporary photography.

The three Jewish founders fled Nazi Germany during the 1930s, bringing
Black Star to New York where a new publication, LIFE, was changing the
face of photography in the USA. Amazingly, the refugees also arrived
with an incredible contract with Hitler's regime. Black Star had an
exclusive arrangement to distribute Germany's official photographs,
including their exhaustive war coverage. (All this was dutifully
investigated by the FBI after WWII and was found to be a business
arrangement only, and there was never a question about Black Star's
founders being anything but opposed to all things Nazi.)

Just after the War Black Star hired a new office boy, one Howard
Chapnick. In addition to his other duties, Howard was sent out on
assignments as an assistant to Black Star's illustrous group of by then
world-famous photographers. Howard loved to tell tales of handling the
bags, cameras, and lights for Eugene Smith, Ralph Crane, and a host of
others who became the core and backbone of America's photo elite.

Howard fell in love with photography while working at the side of the
true greats who were making their mark at the time. He always looked
back on those beginning days as the best.

During the 1950s one of the refugee founders died, and Howard bought
into Black Star. Another retired, then the third. Ownership shifted to
Howard's owning most of the company, his cousin Ben owning a share, and
Phil Rosen also became a shareholder. I became involved in 1960, when
two of the founders were still alive and one was running Black Star.
Howard was second in command and was bringing in new photographers as
the business expanded in those heady days before television made its
impact on news. Howard and I met in New York, I showed him my work, and
we agreed to a contract and association on the spot. I was living in
Florida at the time and agreed to move to Washington, DC and become
Black Star's photographer in the capital. As always, we photographers
were freelancers, contracting with Black Star to represent us, to get
assignments, to hold our files, to resell stock, and to be our agents to
the world.

In those days a contract with Black Star was a handshake with Howard. In
fact, I went around the world routinely for more than 30 years with
nothing but a phone call from Black Star and an oral agreement.

Howard operated Black Star with Ben and Phil for a number of years. When
Phil died, ownership was down to two. Then Howard was diagnosed with Lou
Gehrig's Disease just a few years ago and decided to retire, selling all
of Black Star to Ben Chapnick, his cousin. Howard moved with his wife
Jeanette from NYC to Somers, NY, where he was this past weekend. As his
health deteriorated, his will and drive increased. He finished his book
on photogournalism, which the University of Missouri published, and
which received glowing reviews for its insights. He wrote a newspaper
column, and he toiled tirelessly for the International Center of
Photography in NY. He planned photography exhibits, helped young
photographers find their way, and never tired of defending what he
believed in while trying to make a dent in righting the world's wrongs.
One of the last pieces he wrote he sent to me last month, an essay on
the need to outlaw land mines.

His interests and concerns were broad, his passion profound, his heart
huge. He loved people and always looked toward the better side of
humanity. He wanted people to be good, and was pained by all the misery
he saw in the pictures that crossed his desk. And most of all he loved
photography and photographers. He saw us as the historians of our time.
He knew the power of photography and believed strongly in its ability to
make changes in our world. He urged us always to look for the best, to
do our best, to honor the people we came in contact with who were trying
to make a difference in others' lives. Howard believed that photography
was a force that could be used for good. Besides its obvious ability to
tell stories and inform, Howard thought it could and should also be used
to make the world better.

It was and is a noble goal. Howard Chapnick was unique. Like Bobby
Kennedy, he was not content to seeing the world as it is and asking,
"Why?" He dreamed of a different and better world, and asked, "Why not?"

We all have been fortunate having Howard among us for these important
years of our lives and of the country's life. Now he is gone, and that
is difficult to accept today. He will be missed not just as a friend and
as a family member. His loss is to all humanity, his first love.

Fred Ward

Replies: Reply from Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org> (Re: Howard Chapnick's death)