To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leitz Glass (but made in Japan)
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 21:23:19 +0100

Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> writes
>I think people worry too much about origin of manufacture. Except for
>collectors , of course, who should be concerned. I have a 24, and it's every
>bit the Leica.  So what if Minolta made it? It was made to Leica specs, or
>they woudn't buy it.

This is an intriguing idea, though, because it suggests that any
manufacturer on a par with Minolta could make Leica lenses once they
have the specs! Or at least could make similarly good lenses. I've heard
great things said of the lens on the tiny new Minolta kilobuck compact,
and the Minolta lenses made for the CLE seem to be held in high regard.
I know that a some Japanese audio manufacturers have designed amplifiers
with a "British sound" to sell them over here- is it conceivable that
Japanese manufacturers (other than Kyocera) might bring out lenses with
a "German look" at some point?
--
joe b.