To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: opinions solicited -- telephotos for the R cameras
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 12:36:37 -0700

At 10:46 AM 5/31/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Two, Leitz purposely designed the 400 and 560 optics to have a slight
>curvature in the field.  In practice, if one is shooting an animal etc.,

Just picking at nits here, but it's a basic characteristic of achromat (two
element) lenses to have curvature of field. You can't have both high quality
and flatness of field with this kind of lens. So it's more like Leica
allowed that charactersic in the design. They didn't put it in. Turns out in
some ways to be an advantage.

Other than that, I agree completely with your post.

Another point, an old 250 mm lens is very inexpensive. They look alot like
the old 180 Elmarit, but they are actually lighter. Big and bulky, but cheap
and very sharp.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier