To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R4 Winder question
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 11:38:40 -0700

At 12:27 PM 6/1/96 -0400, you wrote:

>In trying to diagnose the problem today, I noticed the the winder stops at
>36 shots with film in the camera or not. I began to wonder if, when
>shooting shorter rolls I have to stop at the number of shots on the roll
>rather than going to all the way to the end of the roll. This seems to work
>with this winder.
>
>Is this the expected behavior for an R4 winder? Or did I buy a bummer? Is
>this a common problem? Expensive to repair?

Yes it is common. The whirring sound you hear is the winder trying to keep
pulling the film but slipping the clutch to avoid damages to the film or
winder. It also pops a circuit breaker. All you have to do to reset it is
pop the battery compartment out of the locked position, just an inch or two,
and reseat it. Voila, working winder.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier

Replies: Reply from Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu> (Re: R4 Winder question)