To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R4 Winder question
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 96 12:18 PDT

Hi Ken:

I use an R5 with a Winder-R, which is essentially your R4 winder, now relabeled.
You are right, the winder does stop at 36 shots, and, regrettably, you
cannot tell the motor that there is any shorter length in it.

Because of an inate fear that the winder will tear the end of the film off
it's spool, I have always deliberatly stopped shooting when I reach the
number of shots on the roll. (This fear, I should point out, has never
materialized!)

The few times I have missed, and run the film to the end, I have had a few,
very quiet noises, but that's all, and  never have I had a problem with jamming.

If I were you I'd have my dealer or favourite repairman have a quick peek at it.

Also, if you haven't tried it - the Handgrip R (14-308) is a great
convenience with a motor or winder driven R camera.  Put it in program mode,
use a 35-70 Vario-Elmar and you have the ultimate point and shoot!  Great
when you're simply being a tourist!

Best of luck ... and enjoy!

David Young.

--------------

At 12:27 PM 01/06/96 -0400, you wrote:
>A question for you R users from new owner.
>
>I recently aquired an R-E for my wife. We added a used R4 winder as she
>likes to burn film. She hasn't show it much as she prefers zoom lenses and
>the the Vario Elmar we ordered has not arrived.
>
>I shot a roll (24) in it yesterday. When the film came to an end, at about
>26 shoots, the winder made a series of click-whir sounds. I rewound the
>roll and put another one in. The winder would not function and would not
>allow manual film advance/shutter operation. The camera worked OK whenthe
>winder was removed.
>
>In trying to diagnose the problem today, I noticed the the winder stops at
>36 shots with film in the camera or not. I began to wonder if, when
>shooting shorter rolls I have to stop at the number of shots on the roll
>rather than going to all the way to the end of the roll. This seems to work
>with this winder.
>
>Is this the expected behavior for an R4 winder? Or did I buy a bummer? Is
>this a common problem? Expensive to repair?
>
>Thanks for any help offered.
>
>Cheers!
>
>kw
>
>----
>Ken Wilcox                                Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
>Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
>600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423
><kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>

David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com

This life is a test. It is only a test. If this
were an actual life, you would have been given
further instructions as to where to go, and what to do.